At Cliff Park Junior School we want to grow good readers and for children to blossom through a love of reading.
We want children to read books at their own reading and interest levels, so that they enjoy reading by being successful. This is satisfying for most children. Best of all they learn and grow at their own pace.
Accelerated Reader is a computer based program that helps teachers and parents monitor children's independent reading practise:
- Your child picks a book at his/her own level and reads it at his/her own pace.
- When finished, your child takes a short quiz on the computer to see how well they have understood the book.
- Children have a free choice of the books they read. This makes reading a much more enjoyable experience as they feel in control and can choose books that are interesting to them.
- Teachers and the librarian will help your child choose books that are at an appropriate reading level. These will be challenging without being frustrating and will also be at a level at which your child can pass the quiz and experience success.
Books... if you're going to be anything, they are vital in lifeRoald Dahl
How does the school determine my child's reading level?
Teachers determine a child's reading level through the following ways:
- A STAR Reading Test
- A reading estimation through a standardised test
- Through professional judgment based on knowledge of your child
What is a Star reading test?
- STAR reading is a computer based reading assessment program. Questions continually adjust to your child's responses. If the child's response is correct, the difficulty level is increased, or reduced if the child is experiencing difficulties. The test uses multiple-choice questions and takes approximately 10 minutes.
- Having completed the test, the child will be given the range of books that will challenge without causing frustration. All reading books will have a Book Level, so that the child will know which books will be suitable.
- All books in the school library are labelled so that your child can browse and choose books independently. The Friends of Cliff Park have helped us to add lots of new books to our collection.
- Every book that has an AR Reading Practice Quiz is given a points value. AR points are based on the difficulty of the book and the length of the book. Each child will have a target to reach in order to move to the next level.
- There are currently over 11,000 books available with quizzes.
My child is not a strong reader, can he/she still use Accelerated reader?
- AR helps all children become better readers from pupils with special needs to those who are gifted and talented.
- When children read books at their appropriate level, they experience success. Furthermore, teachers work with children to set appropriate targets based on each child's reading level.
How do I know how my child is progressing?
- The exciting thing is that parents can access their child's Accelerated Reader record via the internet. This information is personal to you and your child and we will provide you with the necessary login and password details.
Children are made readers on the laps of their parentsEmilie Buchwald
How can I help my child at home?
- Please listen to your child read as often as you can - 20 minutes a day is ideal.
- Read to your child - children love to hear stories, even if they can read independently.
- Talk about stories and books they have read, to help them understand and think more widely.
- Encourage your child to read as widely as possible, including newspapers and magazines.
- Use your local library and enjoy the many special events and activities on offer.
Cliff Park Junior School has a special association with the Norfolk Children's Book Centre.
- The NCBC website has a wealth of information on books for all ages and interests.
- There are special recommendations from Marilyn Brocklehurst to help you and your child find books that you will enjoy.
- If you have chance, go and visit the bookshop - it is an Aladdin's Cave!
How can I help my child find books that are interesting?
Visit: www.arbookfind.co.uk and click on ‘Advanced Search’.
You will be able to find books based on Book Level, Topic, Interest Level, Fiction/Non Fiction etc.
You can also check if a book has an AR Quiz by searching the book title.
The more you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.Dr Seuss